Sunday, September 19, 2010

Tom petty and the heartbrakers review

Saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers play Raleigh, NC last night. Bought the tickets in February or March for the “scheduled” May show. It was, however, changed to September 18 in order for the band to complete their new Mojo album.
So I waited and waited for the re-scheduled event, with much anticipation. Now I’ve been to countless TP and the HB’s concerts and each one was always better than the last, and as a veteran to his concerts I anticipated no less than that very thing. However, I can’t help but feel that I left the show a bit let down and somewhat disappointed.
The band presented a solid show in front of nearly 15,000 fans, but for me, who loves the band, and is inspired by many of the song’s lyrics felt that it was not their usual earth-shattering performance; it was lack-luster at best.
Petty’s set was filled with long, languid guitar solos, tastefully executed by co-captain Mike Campbell. Now Campbell is a phenomenal guitarist, one who has not been given his due by many, but die-hard fans know the score—he rocks like no other!! However, the long, guitar solos went on a bit too long that sometimes overstayed their welcome. I think had there been fewer guitar solos there would have been more room for additional songs from his long repertoire.
Petty and the Heartbreakers dug into their new album Mojo a couple of times, but the songs they chose -- such as the full-on rocker, I'm Driving Down to Georgia -- were in harmony with the vibe of the evening.
All I can say is I’m waiting for the next visit to this area, and as a faithful fan , I will continue to see him as long as he, the band and I am around to do so!!
Set List:
1. Listen To Her Heart
2. You Don't Know How It Feels
3. I Won't Back Down
4. Free Falling
5. Oh Well (Fleetwood Mac cover)
6. Mary Jane's Last Dance
7. King's Highway
8. Breakdown
9. Jefferson Jericho Blues
10. Good Enough
11. Running Man's Bible
12. I Should Have Known It
13. Learning To Fly
14. Don't Come Around Here
15. Refugee
16. Encore:
16. Runnin' Down A Dream
17. American Girl

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I think it was one of the best, and that it is about time Mike Campbell got some recognition!

    ReplyDelete